This past weekend, my retired parents, my almost 3-year-old daughter, and I drove to Eureka Springs, AR for the 2013 Ozark Creative Writers’ conference. I was speaking there, and my husband had to work all weekend (still for no pay–government shutdown), and so I needed to bring KB with me. My parents came along as the babysitters.
We had adventures, of course–if you’ve been reading these Tuesday Sandwich Generation posts or my Facebook page, you’ll know my family is a scream. From my daughter telling my mom that Grandma didn’t have to worry because we were going to let her stay in the hotel, too, TO my mom telling the story of how she accidentally called Matt Adams from the St. Louis Cardinals “Big Pussy” instead of “Big Kitty” (and then KB repeated–go big pussy–yes, it happened), we were laughing hysterically many times. HOWEVER, that is not the point of this post today. TODAY, you will find out why you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check your hotel room before you go to sleep the first night–ESPECIALLY if it is a “pet-friendly” hotel.
We spent the night on Thursday night and woke up Friday morning. I spoke at a session at 9:15 am, so I made my way to the conference and left the three of them at the hotel room. When my session ended, I called around 10:30 am and asked how things were going. My dad said, “You won’t believe this story.” So, here’s what he told me.
KB and my mom were playing hide and seek in the hotel room. KB went to hide and all of a sudden she said, “EWWW. I stepped in something awful.” (She was in BARE FEET.)
My mom rushed over, thinking for sure it was a big bug, and looked down to see that KB had stepped in a pile of DOG POOP! Yes, a little pile of poop leftover from some other friendly hotel guests and their untrained dog, and the hotel staff must have missed this extra deposit in the room. So, my mom cleans KB’s feet (SHE IS A SAINT), and then KB goes to look out the window. I am not kidding when I tell you. . .
SHE STEPPED IN ANOTHER PILE OF POOP!
Yes, my mom had to then clean that off her foot, my dad removed both piles (as well as the poopy pull-up since KB IS STILL NOT POTTY TRAINED!), and then they, of course, scoured the room for more piles.
When my dad told me this story, I couldn’t believe we couldn’t smell it or see it the night before. We were not staying at the Taj Mahal–the rooms were nice but not that big. We did tell the staff, and they were just shocked and couldn’t understand how something like that could happen.
The whole rest of the weekend, KB kept saying to make sure to keep the door locked, so no dogs could come in and poop in her room.
So, the moral of this story: make sure you check your hotel room BEFORE you sleep there. . .or play hide and seek.
Photo credits: Top right: Jen Nips Bottom left: Stewart Black from Flickr.com